Accession Number: AnnRep2.26
Scope & Content: Four printed reports of the Zoshigaya Branch School of Tokyo University of Education dating back to 1903 (annual report of that year included in "Short Account of the Tokyo Blind and Dumb School). Reports document the administrative and academic activities of the school and include some financial information. Black-and-white photo illustrations and building plans appear in some of the reports. See container list for holdings. Name of school varies on reports: Tokyo Blind and Dumb School (1903). Tokyo School for the Blind (1917). Tokyo Government School for the Blind (1936). Zoshigaya Branch School of Tokyo University of Education (1955).
Creator: Zoshigaya Branch School of Tokyo University of Education
Interview Date: / /
Administrative History: In 1880, a private institution for the blind was opened in Tokyo, Japan. Two deaf pupils were enrolled that same year and by 1884, the school was called the Institute for the Blind and Dumb (Kunmoain). In 1885, the school was placed under the control of the Department of Education, becoming Japan's first government school for the blind and the deaf. In 1887, the school name changed to Tokyo Blind and Dumb School (Tokyo Moa Gakko) . The school for the blind became a separate entity and moved to Zoshigaya, Tokyo, in 1910. It became known as the Tokyo Government School for the Blind. Additional name changes would occur. In 1950, the school became a part of the Tokyo University of Education and the following year was renamed the Zoshigaya Branch School of Tokyo University of Education.
Subjects: Schools for the blind and visually impaired Education Japan Annual reports
Rights: Contact museum staff regarding reproduction of materials.