Workshop and Chapel at the Institution des Jeunes Aveugles in Still, France


Accession Number: 2015.15.4

Scope & Content: Image looks into courtyard between three buildings; bushes in immediate foreground; building on left is white chapel with fish scale tile roof, steeple and round topped windows; building to left is low with row of windows, slate roof and single dormer; building in background has three stories, shuttered windows, and multiple chimneys; printed on reverse, "Institution des jeunes aveugles/STILL (Bas-Rhin)/Blindenanstalt in Still/Aterlier et chapelle--Werkstatten und Kapelle".

Creator: Alsation Photomechanical Arts Co.

Interview Date: / /

Credit Line: Gift of Mireille Duhen, 2015.15.

Administrative History: The Institution des Jeunes Aveugles in Still was founded in 1895 as a residential school for blind children. In 1973, however, the children were transferred to a school in nearby Stasbourg, and the name was changed to the L’Institut des Aveugles. Today it serves blinded adults and offers a workshop, vocatuional rehabilitation, living quarters, and other services as part of the l'Association Adèle de Glaubitz.

Subjects: Schools for the blind and visually impaired Buildings France Germany