Resume of More Than a Decade of Labors in Behalf of the Blind and Deaf of the Indian Territory, Dating from June, 1897, to July 30, 1907


Accession Number: 1997.209

Summary/Description: The first printed account of the International School for the Blind and Deaf (later to be called the Oklahoma School for the Blind) issued by the school. Due to financial constraints, printed annual reports had not been published. Written by Lura A. Lowrey, founder and principal, and William Lowrey, assistant business manager, it provides an account of the early years of the school, along with a list of then-current receipts, expenditures, and enrolled students.

Author: Lowrey, Lura A.

Collection: KSB Collection

History/Provenance: The Oklahoma School for the Blind was founded in 1897 by Lura Rowland (later Lowrey), a graduate of the Arkansas School for the Blind. The "International School for the Blind and Deaf," as listed in an account of the school by its founder, opened in January 1898 at Fort Gibson to serve blind students who lived within the Indian Territory. The school was supported through contributions until 1908, when it became a public school with funding provided by the state of Oklahoma for the "Lura A. Lowrey School for the Blind." The school moved to Wagoner in 1907, where it was located for a short time, and then re-located to Ft. Gibson. It moved to temporary quarters in Muskogee in June 1913, while buildings at a new campus in that city were under construction. The Muskogee campus opened in 1914.

Credit Line: Gift of the Kentucky School for the Blind, 1997.209

Publisher: [International School for the Blind and Deaf]

Publisher Place: [Fort Gibson, OK]

Publish Date: [1907]

Subjects: Schools for the blind and visually impaired Schools for the deaf Education -- Oklahoma Annual reports

Physical Description: 24 p. ; 9 x 6 in.