Postcard, Virginia School for the Deaf and the Blind, Staunton


Accession Number: 2000.153

Scope & Content: On the front of the postcard is a black & white photo of the front entrance to the school's administration building. It shows large columns and a multistoried building. The view is partially blocked by trees. A convertible car (1920s?) is parked in front. To the left, in the foreground, is an ornate water fountain. Printed along the bottom edge is "The Virginia School for the Deaf and the Blind, Staunton, Va. This institution established by act of the Virginia Legislature in 1839, was the first state supported school for the deaf and the blind in America. It is composed of eight large buildings--administration building shown above--on a 98-acre campus with a separate 150 acre farm. Here the 200 deaf and 75 blind children are taught the elementary, grammar and high school courses as well as industrial and vocational training. During the Civil War these spacious buildings were used as a hospital for both the Confederate and Federal wounded." The back of the postcard is divided and unused. A logo, approximately 3/4 in. square, is printed in the upper left corner, with an "O" in the center, surrounded on four sides by the letter K. Top center is printed "Always ask for Historically Korrect & Authentik Triangle Kards" with the letter K in a triangle and the words "Historically Korrect & Authentik" around the outer edges. Centered along the bottom edge is "Published by Shenandoah Publishing House-Strasburg, Virginia." The numbers "213" appear in the bottom left corner.

Manufacture Date: n.d.

Creator: Korrect & Authentik

Interview Date: / /

Publish Date: n.d.

Subjects: Blind children. Education. Schools for the blind and visually impaired Deaf children. Schools for the deaf. School buildings