Post-1954 APH building photographs

Print, Photographic

Accession Number: 2004.134.3.1-24

Description: Black-and-white and color glossy photographs showing the post-1954 APH building. A list of the photographs and the dates they were taken follows. 2004.134.3.1-4 - Aerial views of APH building, 1966, proofs (negative on file for 2004.134.3.2) 2004.134.3.5-6 - Front of APH building, 1966 2004.134.3.7-8 - APH Display room, 1967 2004.134.3.9-12 - APH building from parking lot, 1971, negative on file 2004.134.3.13-14 - Front of APH building, 1971 2004.134.3.15-17 - APH office, 1971 2004.134.3.18-20 - Front of APH building, 1973 2004.134.3.21-22 - Front of APH building from parking lot, 1982 2004.134.3.23 - Black and white, front of APH building, 1988 2004.134.3.24 - Black and white, APH side parking lot, 1988

Medium: Photographic Paper

History/Provenance: In June 1954, construction of a new administration building, designed by architect Arthur G. Tafel, was begun.The 4-story building with basement was added to the front of the original 1883 structure and provided nearly 15,000 square feet of additional space at a cost of just under $200,000. Completed in 1955, it was designed to house the company's administrative offices, a board meeting room, the Educational Research Department, Talking Books studios, and reproduction and electronic research departments. A west addition to APH was built in 1958. Designed by the firm of Walter C. Wagner & Joseph H. Potts, Architects & Engineers, it was erected between an existing west wing and the 1934 plate storage vault. The one-story-with-basement addition provided 2,320 square feet of additional space used to store raw vinyl plastics and other materials, including processed biscuits, for the production of Talking Book records. Construction of a new east addition, also designed by Wagner & Potts, began in 1958, after an existing east wing was razed. Originally planned as a 1-story building with basement, the company decided that the east addition should be 2-stories with a basement. This addition provided 5,940 square feet of storage space and included a centrally-located employee lunchroom. It was completed in 1959. In 1992, the lintel of the 1883 building, which was removed from the APH front entrance during the 1955 building addition, was permanently placed on the APH front lawn. Photos taken for APH by professional photographer.

Credit Line: (see provenance)

Subjects: Factories Office buildings Photographs