Overbrook School for the Blind annual reports, including 1833 material

Report, Annual

Accession Number: AnnRep1.34

Scope & Content: Holdings: 1833-1870, 1874-1875, 1878-1882, 1885-1911, 1913-1922, 1924, 1930, 1935-1936/1937, 1945/1947, 1957/1958-1969/1970, 1990/1991-1997, 2005/2006-2006/2007. Printed annual reports of the Overbrook School for the Blind, documenting the school's management, building, and student activities. Fiscal year varies. Title varies: Annual Report of the Managers of the Pennsylvania Institution for the Instruction of the Blind (1834). Report of the Managers of Overbrook School for the Blind (1945/1946-1946/1947). Overbrook School for the Blind: Annual Report (1990/1991). Most reports list officers, staff, and students. Financial statements are included. Some early reports include engravings and embossed specimens. "An Address at the First Exhibition of the Pupils of the Pennsylvania Institution for the Instruction of the Blind," by J.R. Friedlander, 1833, is in a bound volume of the early reports. A list of available books in accessible format is included in reports of 1863-1917. Black-and-white photo illustrations appear in reports for 1892 and later. Illustrations of the Braille Stereo-maker, Hall Braille Writer, and Taylor Slate type appear in the 1893 report. The 2006/07 report contains color photo illustrations. "Historical Sketch of the Life and Labors of Julius R. Friedlander, read April 21st, 1903, on the Centennial of His Birth, by Edward E. Allen," with an illustration of Friedlander from a painting is found in the 71st Annual Report, and a fold-out photo of attendees at the 1911 American Association of Workers for the Blind (AAWB) Conference is included in the 79th Annual Report.

Creator: Overbrook School for the Blind (PA)

Interview Date: / /

Administrative History: The Pennsylvania Institution for the Instruction of the Blind was founded as a private school in Philadelphia by Julius Friedlander in 1832. He served as its principal until his death in 1839. The name of the school was officially changed in 1946 to Overbrook School for the Blind.

Subjects: Schools for the blind and visually impaired Education -- Pennsylvania Annual reports

Rights: Contact museum staff regarding reproduction of materials.