Oklahoma School for the Blind annual reports

Report, Annual

Accession Number: AnnRep1.32

Scope & Content: Printed reports of the Oklahoma School for the Blind provide general information about the school and identify managers, staff and students. Reports include black-and-white photo illustrations. 1914 report (issued in January and covering the twelve preceding months) also includes floor plan and landscape drawings of the Muskogee campus and buildings.

Creator: Oklahoma School for the Blind

Interview Date: / /

Administrative History: The Oklahoma School for the Blind was founded in 1897 by Lura Rowland (later Lowrey), a graduate of the Arkansas School for the Blind. The "International School for the Blind and Deaf," as listed in an account of the school by its founder, opened in January 1898 at Fort Gibson to serve blind students who lived within the Indian Territory. The school was supported through contributions until 1908, when it became a public school with funding provided by the state of Oklahoma for the "Lura A. Lowrey School for the Blind." The school moved to Wagoner in 1907, where it was located for a short time, and then re-located to Ft. Gibson. It moved to temporary quarters in Muskogee in June 1913, while buildings at a new campus in that city were under construction. The Muskogee campus opened in 1914.

Subjects: Schools for the blind and visually impaired Education -- Oklahoma Annual reports

Rights: Contact museum staff regarding reproduction of materials.