Accession Number: AnnRep1.29
Scope & Content: Holdings: 1858/1860, 1865/1866, 1868/1869, 1871-1877/1879, 1880/1881, 1883/1884-1886/1888, 1892/1894-1898/1900, 1902/1904, 1906/1908-1942/1944, 1948/1950-1950/1952; a separately printed "By-laws" of 1879. Printed reports of the school document the management, building, and student activities. Reports list school officers, staff, and students, and include financial receipts and disbursements (expenditures only for biennial periods ending 1950 and 1952). Fiscal year varies (see container list). Some reports are illustrated, and include an engraving of the school building (1865/1866, 1868/1869, 1871); black-and-white photo illustrations (1908/1910 and later); a fold-out aerial view of the "White Department"(1934/1936); an aerial view of the "campus at the colored school" (1950/1952). Title varies: Biennial Report of the North Carolina Institution for the Deaf & Dumb and the Blind (1858/1860). Report of the State School for the Blind and the Deaf (1904/1906). Biennial Report, State School for the Blind and the Deaf, Raleigh, North Carolina (1948/1950).
Creator: North Carolina State School for the Blind and the Deaf (Raleigh)
Interview Date: / /
Collection: KSB Collection
Administrative History: In 1845, through a legislative enactment of the state of North Carolina, the North Carolina Institution for Education of the Deaf and Dumb and the Blind was established. The school's name was changed in 1905 to the State School for the Blind and Deaf, and, in 1964, to the Governor Morehead School, in honor of John Motley Morehead, former North Carolina governor whose legislative efforts in the 1840s led to the establishment of the school. Deaf students were moved to a separate campus located in Morganton in 1894. In 1869, North Carolina became the first state to address the educational needs of blind and deaf African Americans when it established a Colored Department. Located in a separate building at a nearby Raleigh location, this department was under the same general management as the school's White Department. Deaf students in the Colored Department were transferred to schools in Morganton, Wilson, and Greensboro during the 1960s and 1970s. Integration of the school for the blind began in the 1960s, with full integration occurring in 1977.
Subjects: Schools for the blind and visually impaired Schools for the deaf Education -- North Carolina Annual reports African American students
Rights: Contact museum staff regarding reproduction of materials.