Nebraska School for the Blind biennial reports

Report, Annual

Accession Number: AnnRep1.24

Scope & Content: Holdings: 1875/1876-1889/1890, 1895/1896-1905/1906, 1909/1910, 1913/1914-1917/1918, 1923/1925-1931/1933, 1936/1937. Printed biennial reports document the school's management, building, and student activities. Reports list officers and staff, and most list the students. Included are the school's expenditures and appropriations. Black-and-white photo illustrations in some reports. Fold-out tables in reports for biennial periods ending 1916 and 1918. Title varies: Biennial Report . . . of the Institution for the Blind of the State of Nebraska (1875/1876). Biennial Report of the Nebraska Institute for the Blind (1881/1882). Biennial Report . . . of the Nebraska School for the Blind (1915/1916).

Creator: Nebraska School for the Blind

Interview Date: / /

Administrative History: The Nebraska School for the Blind was founded in 1875. Samuel Bacon, who became blind as a child, was founder of the state-run school and served as its first principal. Classes were initially conducted in a rented house until January 1876, when the school moved into a newly-constructed school building that opened as the Institute for the Blind. The school would later be known as the Nebraska School for the Blind. In 1961, the name was changed to the Nebraska School for the Visually Handicapped; and, in 1999, to the Nebraska Center for the Education of Children Who are Blind or Visually Impaired.

Subjects: Schools for the blind and visually impaired Schools for the deaf Education -- Nebraska Annual reports

Rights: Contact museum staff regarding reproduction of materials.