College for Blind Sons of Gentlemen, Worcester annual report

Report, Annual

Accession Number: AnnRep2.16

Scope & Content: Printed report documents the school's management and student activities. Includes a list of pupils and of books embossed in raised letters and braille at the school.

Creator: College for Blind Sons of Gentlemen, Worcester

Interview Date: / /

Administrative History: In 1866, an independent school for blind boys was established in Worcester, England by two clergymen, Hugh Blair and William Taylor. Originally called the College for Blind Sons of Gentlemen, the school mission was "to provide for blind boys of the better classes a good education." The school would later be called the Worcester College for the Blind (WCB) and, due to financial constraints, would come under financial and general control of the [Royal] National Institute for the Blind (RNIB) in 1936. WCB merged, in 1987, with the Corleywood College for Girls (a school for blind girls opened by RNIB in 1921). The merged school became an independent school known as the New College Worcester in 2007.

Subjects: Schools for the blind and visually impaired Education England Annual reports

Rights: Contact museum staff regarding reproduction of materials.