Blueprint set, Proposed Additions to Building of the American Printing House for the Blind

Drawing, Architectural

Accession Number: 2015.1.1

Scope & Content: Three blueprints of the Arthur Loomis design for the 1923 APH West Annex; (a) shows plan of basement and rear (south) elevation; (b) shows plan of first floor and front (north) elevation; (c) shows plan of second floor and west elevation; scale for all drawings 1/8" equals 1 foot.

Creator: Loomis, Arthur

Interview Date: / /

Collection: APH Archives / RG 18: Maintenance

Credit Line: APH Collection, 2015.1

Administrative History: Arthur Loomis was born January 28, 1858. He relocated to Jeffersonville, Indiana, from Massachusetts with his family, just before the start of the Civil War, then moved to Louisville around 1910. After working for several years for noted architect Charles J. Clarke, who designed the original APH building in 1883, the two became partners in 1891 – creating one of Louisville’s most prestigious architectural firms. The Levy Building downtown, which once housed a clothing store, is probably their most recognized commercial structure. Once one of the first electrified buildings in the city, The Levy Building has been converted into condominiums and is the long-time home of The Old Spaghetti Factory restaurant. The Conrad-Caldwell House in Old Louisville is one of the best examples of Clarke and Loomis’ residential work. In the years following Clarke’s death in 1908, Loomis primarily worked alone. Some of his most noted works during this time include the Carnegie Library in Jeffersonville, Indiana and the original J.B. Speed Art Museum building in Louisville. Arthur Loomis is also considered the first president of the Kentucky Chapter of the American Institute of Architects. Although his former partner Charles Clarke was elected, he died before taking office … so Loomis fulfilled his term.

Subjects: Blueprints Construction Factories Landscaping plans Office buildings Storage facilities