1955 APH Administration Building, exterior

Print, Photographic

Accession Number: 2004.134.2.1-4

Description: Black-and-white glossy photographs of the exterior of the 1955 APH building addition, a four-story brick and stone structure with basement. Grassy lawn in foreground; trees in leaf; American flag flying from staff at third-story level, above front entrance. .1 - Front of building (two negatives on file). .2 - Front of building and parked cars; typewritten label on reverse identifies bldg. and year of photo. .3 - Front of building and wider view of parked cars. .4 - Additional copy of .3. Ink-stamped on reverse of .1 and .2: "Keen Photo, 214 Ring Road, Louisville - 7 - KY"; on reverse of .3 and .4: "Photograph by James N. Keen, 214 Ring Road, Louisville 7, KY."

Medium: Photographic Paper

Print Size: 8" (h) x 10" (w)

Date: 1957

Photographer: Keen, James N.

History/Provenance: In June 1954, construction of a new administration building, designed by architect Arthur G. Tafel, was begun. The 4-story building with basement was added to the front of the original 1883 structure and provided nearly 15,000 square feet of additional space at a cost of just under $200,000. Completed in 1955, it was designed to house the company's administrative offices, a board meeting room, the Educational Research Department, Talking Books studios, and reproduction and electronic research departments. Photos taken for the American Printing House for the Blind by professional photographer.

Credit Line: (see provenance)

Subjects: Office buildings Photographs